Position: Mental Health Counsellor Type: Term (approximately 9 months) Expected start date: Sept 2, 2014 Posting date: April 23, 2014 Maple Family Health Team consists of 25 physicians in six clinics in Kingston. Nurse practitioners, registered nurses and other health care professionals work together with our physicians to provide our patients with effective, timely and efficient care. Position Description: The Mental Health Counsellor (MHC) works to promote good mental health by providing education and counselling to clients experiencing mental health difficulties such as anxiety, depression and situational distress. Individual and group interventions will generally be based on cognitive behaviour and other evidence-based models. The Mental Health Counsellor will work collaboratively as part of a team providing comprehensive primary healthcare. It is expected that approximately half of the workload will be comprised of preparation for and delivery of group therapy programs. Education, Training and Qualifications:
- MSW, RN, OT(Reg), MA Psychology or equivalent
- At least one year of mental health experience in facility/team or related program with access to training, observed care, regular supervisor and/or peer mentoring.
- Excellent assessment skills, case management experience and individual and group counselling experience.
- Determine the need for psychotherapy using appropriate assessments
- Perform psychotherapy in accordance with the standards of practice
- Delivery of individual and group counselling
- Participate in regular professional development activities that ensure current ongoing knowledge, skill, ability and judgment to perform psychotherapy.