2300 Eglington Ave W
Mississauga ON L5M2V8
Title: Family Practice Nurse (RN)
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: 2300 Eglinton Ave W or 2000 Credit Valley Rd
Position Type: Permanent
CVFHT is an Academic Family Health Team affiliated with Trillium Health Partners and the University of Toronto. It is an engaging inter-professional primary care team dedicated to continuous learning and excellence within primary care with a demonstrated track record of impactful quality improvement activities. It is a not for profit organization that receives funding from the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and provides primary health care services to over 12,000 patients in Mississauga. The CVFHT also has a mandate to provide French language primary care services to the Francophone community.
The Family Practice Nurse is responsible for delivering comprehensive nursing care as established by the standards of the College of Nurses of Ontario. The nurse will assess, plan, implement and evaluate the nursing care for clinic patients. The nurse will perform nursing duties as a part of the inter-professional team. It is expected that the nurse will seek opportunities to improve levels of service, recognizing the needs and expectations of the patient and the clinic.
LIST THE SPECIFIC DUTIES OR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Systematically collects health data in consultation with the patient for initial screening, ongoing assessment and in depth assessment to determine one or more unmet specific needs.
- Collects data in a timely fashion, analyze data and identifies problems/strengths
- Continuously updates assessment as patient status changes.
- Provides health education, health promotion, and disease prevention
- Performs telephone triage and monitoring within the office setting
- Provides health education, information and counseling to patients and families across the continuum of health care including immunization, chronic disease management, well baby and family care
- Performs technical nursing interventions including injections, changing dressings, wart treatment, ear syringing, ECGs, 24 hour BP monitoring, and Spirometry
- Demonstrates accountability for own actions.
- Demonstrates the nursing process through documentation.
- Provide teaching to Family Medicine Residents, Medical and Nursing students and inter-professional team members within scope of practice where it would help in their practice
- Participate in ongoing research related to client groups of the FHT
- Collaborates with the client and the interprofessional team in planning.
- Co-ordinates implementation of planned care with clients and team.
- Arranges consultation if illness or treatment is out of RN’s scope of practice.
- Liaise with community agencies as required
- Provide communication to hospital and community staff and other inter-professional team members as required to ensure smooth transition for care between care sites
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
- Current unrestricted registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- At least three (3) years clinical experience (primary care experience an asset)
- Experience working with both individuals and groups, both independently and as part of a team
- Training and experience in diabetes, dementia care, smoking cessation, and EMR will be considered assets
- Fluency in both English and French language will be considered an asset
- Strong clinical skills
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Competency in computer based programs (Microsoft Programs-Word and Excel) Ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team
- Ability to work in an inter-professional team environment
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment