CLINICAL DIRECTOR, PHYSICIAN – MISSISSAUGA INTEGRATED CARE CENTRE
Employment: Part-time, Permanent
Job Class: Executive
FTE: 0.2 FTE
Term: 12 months (option to extend)
Location: Mississauga Integrated Care Centre - South West & East Mississauga sites
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Overview: The MICC is underway in building two new primary health care centres (South West Mississauga and East Mississauga) where community physicians can come together with an interprofessional care team to help their patients’ medical, social and emotional needs. This new benchmark model will be comprised of physicians, regardless of payment model or practice location within the SWM/EM care community, and will strive towards achievement of the Quadruple Aim: improve population health, patient experience, health care costs and job satisfaction for providers. The sites will encapsulate:
- An integrated primary health care system (interdisciplinary team, primary care and specialist physicians, home and community care, mental health and addictions)
- Care with patients and their families inclusive of health, social and emotional needs (patient medical home, full scope of practice for care team members)
- Focused on the needs of the community in which it serves (population health based program planning, access with a health equity approach)
- Integration with hospitals, specialists, EMS (touch down space, innovation in process, digital health)
- Building a community amongst providers (CMEs, meeting space, shared-care with specialists, on-call coverage, shared after-hours coverage)
- Access to digital health, innovation and research (e-visit, e-consult, asynchronous communication, continuous care pathways, rapid health learning system)
- While operating their medical practice on site, the Clinical Director, Physician shall lead by example and act in good faith, set the standard for accountability, transparency, honesty, integrity and ethical behavior and embody the culture of solution-orientation, innovation and ‘customer service’. Given the potential issues with the logistics of relocating a current practice, it is reasonable to assume that the relocation on-site will occur a short time after the operations begin at MICC.
- The Clinical Director, Physician shall act in good faith and in the best interest of the MICC, avoiding conflicts of interest, maintaining confidentiality, and ensuring that any and all inappropriate preferential treatment of any stakeholder or constituent does not take place.
- The Clinical Director, Physician shall abide by the by-laws, policies and regulations of the MICC.
- The Clinical Director, Physician shall promote excellent patient care and quality improvement in primary health care.
- The Clinical Director, Physician shall provide leadership by employing a positive attitude, enable and facilitate a collaborative work environment, and build excitement by thinking in a new and innovative way.
In partnership with the Executive Director and Clinical Director, Allied Health, the Clinical Director, Physician will be responsible for:
- Providing clinical leadership to the physician team.
- Creating and fostering a culture of collaboration, respect and teamwork.
- Build relationships that will support clinical and system integration and collaboration.
- Recruit family physicians to work as part of the interprofessional care team.
- Oversee physician human resource planning for both primary care and specialists.
- Initiate or participate in the development of clinical policies, procedures and protocols, including medical directives.
- Participate in quality assurance initiatives including chart audits and peer reviews.
- Build opportunities for creation of a community of providers from the care community.
- Oversee the physician team for compliance with clinical standards and MICC by-laws, policies and regulations.
- Ensure appropriate coverage, including on-call coverage, and after-hours coverage, as appropriate.
- Ensure strong participation in clinical rounds and/or clinical training of physicians & staff, as appropriate.
- Manage issues of conflict or code of conduct with the physician team.
- Participate in continuous quality improvement and create opportunities for inter-professional continuing medical education.
- Identify area of clinical and enterprise risk and manage such issues along with the Executive Director.
- Foster an environment for system research and learning.
- Provide updates on quality initiatives, progress, and risk issues to the Board.
- Participate in the development and monitoring of service and program quality indicators.
- Review critical event incident reports and participate in resolution.
Reporting Accountability: The Clinical Director, Physician shall work in strong alliance with the Executive Director and the Clinical Director, Allied Health; however, she/he shall be ultimately accountable to the MICC Board.
- Health systems leadership including planning or implementing services across the care continuum.
- Bringing-together diverse perspectives to plan and provide care for patients with complex needs.
- Experience in primary health care and proficiency in the duties of a primary health care provider.
- Ability to effectively engage physicians through the development, implementation and operation of the model.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and build confidence in others and to forge alliances and garner support for the MICC model.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strong, positive relationships with all clinical staff within the Mississauga Care Community.
- Understands the process of policies and procedures development related to patient care and quality improvement.
- Leads the development and review of medical directives.
- Participates in the initiation, development, monitoring and evaluation of patient care programs.
- Works collaboratively with team to provide access to care.
- Shows a willingness to lead and develop further as a system leader.
- Has an understanding of quality improvement methodologies.
- Doctor of Medicine degree.
- Current registration and a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO).
- Membership and certification with the Canadian College of Family Physicians (CCFP).
- Licensed to practice medicine in Ontario with liability insurance through Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA).
- At least five years of clinical practice experience.
- Demonstrated experience with clinical leadership and quality improvement.
- Experience working in a clinically integrated, team-based care organization (preferred).
- Must obtain active or courtesy privileges at Trillium Health Partners.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills for management of complex relationships.
- A collaborative style with the ability to persuade and negotiate on controversial or sensitive situations resulting in consensus-based decisions.
- Demonstrated spoken and written communication skills to make presentations, write persuasive communications or contribute to the development of business cases / reporting.
- Demonstrated understanding of general principles of healthcare management, biostatistics, healthcare finance / funding models, social determinants of health, population-based planning, and epidemiology.
- Demonstrated understanding of regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Highly knowledgeable about the concepts and implementation of program development, clinical design, physician practice behavior, and outcomes analysis.
- Transformational leader with experience leading physician groups and the ability to create a compelling and inspired vision.
- Collaborates with others to plan and execute strategies and tactics.
- Strong problem solving skills and good judgement.
- Capacity to adapt quickly to a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
Compensation: Compensation for the role will align with the physician compensation rate of the Mississauga Halton LHIN.
Application: Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume to: Aasif Khakoo, Executive Director Mississauga Integrated Care Centre 700 Dorval Drive, Suite 500 Oakville, Ontario L6K 3V3 Email: Aasif.Khakoo@lhins.on.ca