3305 Harvester Road
Burlington ON L7N 3N2
Recognized as a leader in providing innovative primary health care, the Caroline Family Health Team of Burlington is seeking a dynamic RN to join our multi-disciplinary team in the role of Certified Diabetes Nurse Educator. This position provides 30 hours per week at our Harvester Road, Burlington location.
As a member of a multidisciplinary team, the RN is responsible for coordinating the provision of diabetes education services for patients with diabetes and their families in Halton. The RN utilizes evidenced-based practice (Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines) to ensure quality care. Working with community partners, the RN strives to create a seamless transition for the patient through the system.
- Provide diabetes and self-management education to Type 1 & 2 and pre-diabetes adult patients and their families.
- In collaboration with the patient, primary care provider, dietitian and other inter-disciplinary C-FHT clinical staff, establishes a plan of treatment and ongoing care.
- Provides information and education to patients to enable effective self-care and symptom management.
- Designs, develops, implements and evaluates education, care, and treatment approaches at a patient and program level in accordance with CDA CPG.
- Provides education and information sessions within the community (Health Promotion) to facilitate and support quality diabetes care, based on principles of adult education.
- Participates in team development by sharing knowledge of current best practices in diabetes care.
- Communicates effectively with healthcare team members to create an effective, cohesive team and seamless service to the patient.
- Is guided by the standards and guidelines of the College of Nurses of Ontario and the Registered Nurses Assoc. of Ontario in everyday work.
- Certified Diabetes Educator (required)
- Current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario, membership with RNAO, and membership with Canadian Diabetes Association-Diabetes Educator Section
- Additional specialty certification or training in related areas
- 3-5 years’ experience and broad knowledge of all aspects of diabetes care
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous education and quality improvement initiatives
- Demonstrated knowledge, skill & expertise in best practice patterns and translating them into clinical practice as it relates to CDA CPG for the management of Diabetes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, facilitation and interpersonal skills; experience with teaching and knowledge of adult education principles.
- Knowledge of health care facilities and community health services, social agencies, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Proficient with electronic medical records and standard office software.
- Basic CPR certification and current Ontario Driver's License
CFHT is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, and family, marital or veteran status. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to: Kathleen.email@example.com