Reports & Relevant News
AFHTO 2018 Conference: Sign up to help create the conference program by April 6
March 15, 2018
Announcing the theme for the AFHTO 2018 Conference
Dr. Barbara Starfield was a pioneer in identifying why primary care was so foundational to the health system – we know this as the 4Cs of primary care:
- CONTINUITY through better relationships,
- COORDINATION of better transitions,
- first point of CONTACT into the health care system, and
- COMPREHENSIVENESS by providing a wide range of services that deal with a broad range of patient problems and needs (‘womb to tomb’ care of the WHOLE person).
Learn more about The Starfield Model adopted by AFHTO.
You can play a vital role in shaping the conference by joining a working group today. Come behind the scene and become among the first to learn about new developments in the field, influence conference programming and discover the innovators in your areas of interest. Working group members also receive a $50 discount off their registration fee.
Please extend this invitation along to your patients, colleagues and staff. Having diverse voices, especially patients, in the working groups helps us build a varied and relevant program.
Working groups are being set up for each of the six concurrent streams and for the Bright Lights Awards program. The six concurrent streams will focus on:
- Mental health and addictions
- Healthy relationships, healthy teams
- Expanding your reach
- The “How to” stream
- Why hasn’t this expanded: scalable pilot programs
- The future of the regional approach to healthcare
(Click here for descriptions)
Working Group Details
Concurrent program working group members:
The task requires a total of 4-10 hours of effort between April and May, specifically:
- April 6 to May 4: AFHTO staff will manage the call for proposals process.
- Week of April 16: working groups will have an initial teleconference to brainstorm ideas on specific topics and speakers to contact/encourage to submit a presentation abstract.
- May 8 to 22: each working group member individually reviews and scores presentation abstracts for their program.
- May 23 to 30: working groups will teleconference to review scores and determine the program for this theme.
Sign up by April 6, 2018 to confirm participation and select your conference theme.
“Bright Light” Awards Review Committee:
The task requires a total of 6-12 hours in July and August, specifically to individually review and score nominations followed by a group teleconference to determine the award winners. Sign up by April 6, 2018.
Volunteers will also be needed at the conference itself (e.g. at the registration desk). There may be other duties as we update our conference program but like other volunteers described above, onsite volunteers will receive discounted conference registration. Sign up today.
Registration Fees for Conference Working Groups:
- Conference working group members and presenters receive a $50 discount off their registration fee.
- We understand patients face additional financial and time pressures and do not want the registration fee to limit participation in a working group. Patients participating in full in a conference working group will be eligible for complimentary registration (to be determined once the working group task is complete).
- AFHTO members still receive a 50% discount on conference registration fees.
Conference key dates:
- April 6, 2018: Applications for concurrent session and poster abstracts open
- May 4, 2018: Deadline to submit concurrent session and poster abstracts
- Late June 2018: Conference registration opens
- October 24 & 25, 2018: AFHTO 2018 Conference
For more information, you can contact us by phone (647-234-8605) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).