D5 Not Doing Everything All the Time: Streamlining Front Desk Staff Roles for More Effective Clinic Administration
June 14, 2017
Theme 5. Optimizing use of resources
- Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017
- Concurrent Session D
- Time: 9:30am-10:15am
- Style: Presentation (information provided to audience, with opportunity for audience to ask question)
- Focus: Practical (e.g. Presentation on how to implement programs and/or practices in the team environment)
- Target Audience: Leadership (ED, clinical lead, board chair, board member, etc.), Clinical providers, Administrative staff
By the end of this session participants will:
- Gain skills necessary for using process flowcharts to streamline clinical administration roles/functions
- Understand both the positive and negative outcomes of increased role specialization among medical administration professionals.
- Gain knowledge of some practical approaches to supporting the administration of a growing Primary Care practice, without a growing budget.
The traditional role of the administrator sitting at the front desk in a Primary Care setting has been that of a shape shifter. Most medical administrators and secretaries preform duties that would equally qualify them as medical records managers, communications specialists, database administrators, and customer service agents. Many other medical admin roles also extend even further beyond the already-large scope. In other words, all medical administrators do it all. As the province’s strategic goals trend toward increased complexity and shared care in the Primary Health Care setting, the effect of this demand is uniquely felt by the front desk. As many health care providers are aware, an efficient and highly functioning front desk is necessary for the existence of an efficient and highly functioning clinic. The Bridgepoint Family Health Team has re-structured the way that its administrative tasks are shared between roles, and aims to share its outcomes, challenges, and lessons learned.
- Jessica Neverson, Program & Administrative Coordinator, Bridgepoint Family Health Team
- Alice McDermott, Medical Administrative Assistant, Bridgepoint Family Health Team
Authors & Contributors
- Diane Farrell, Medical Administrative Assistant, Bridgepoint Family Health Team
- Noor Zaidi, Medical Assistant, Bridgepoint Family Health Team