Social Worker (Term) – Englehart and District FHT (Englehart)
March 27, 2018
Social Worker – Englehart and District Family Health Team
(1 FTE), Full-time, 12 month contract
Englehart and District Family Health Team (EDFHT) is a primary health care clinic that provides Interprofessional health care services to our patients. We are currently seeking a Social Worker to fill a 12 month contract (covering a mat leave). The Social Worker will work collaboratively with the physicians and Interprofessional HealthCare Providers of our team by providing care for FHT patients and accepting referrals from, as well as consulting with the physicians as necessary. Provision of primary care mental health services will be within the scope of the Social Worker (SW).
- The Social Worker is responsible to the EDFHT Executive Director. All clinical decisions made outside the scope of the Social Worker must be done in consultation of the EDFHT Lead Physician and/or physicians of EDFHT.
- Must comply with the standards of practice guidelines of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
- On a regular and continuous basis, exercises clinical judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the FHT.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Is responsible for making clinical decisions and exercising judgment to ensure best possible care is provided within available resources;
- Effectively uses the Social Work standards of practice and the therapy process in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care of the patient;
- Conducts intake assessments and provides counseling services, with particular regard to individual and family issues and decisions that impact the health of the patient and family. Works within the primary care model of brief therapy, ensuring seamless transition to community resources as appropriate;
- Is knowledgeable of the community and the resources available, especially in the areas of crisis services, Mental Health, and Long Term Care;
- Assists the referring physician/health care providers with referrals to secondary and tertiary health care centers;
- Is responsible for organizing and operating a psychiatry clinic one weekend per month. The Social Worker will handle all referrals received for patients referred for psychiatric assessment. The Social Worker with assess all patients that are referred, and use clinical judgment in consultation with the consulting psychiatrist to determine appropriateness of referral;
- Knowledge and skill in group work including cognitive behavior therapy, mindfulness, Craving Change™, and Anger Solutions™ among others;
- Participates in measurement of patient outcomes;
- Acts as an advocate for patients and their families in matters affecting health;
- Liaises with physicians and other team members as required; participates and collaborates with other Family Health Team members and health care providers in provision of patient care;
- Maintains own continuing education to enhance professional knowledge and growth;
- Enthusiastic, passionate and self-driven;
- Acts as a professional and knowledgeable role model or mentor to colleagues; and
- Maintains confidentiality in the work place and within the community.
Education & Specific Job Requirements
- BSW with 3 years experience preferred;
- Registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers;
- Previous related patient care experience, specifically in a primary care setting preferred;
- Experience in solution-focused brief therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, motivational interviewing and mindfulness;
- Experience in mental health and addictions;
- Some experience with eating disorders an advantage;
- Ability to operate with the highest level of confidentiality and discretion;
- Strong conflict resolution skills;
- Exceptional oral, written and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Group facilitations skills;
- In depth knowledge of chronic illness care, including both clinical and supportive care;
- In depth knowledge of the local health program delivery and community based services;
- Able to be innovative and creative in order to develop strategies that successfully meet the needs of diverse patient, family, and provider population;
- Ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team; and
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment.
Compensation is $69,335 per year plus pay in lieu (6%) of benefits.
Thank you for your interest in the Englehart and District Family Health Team. Only those candidates selected will be contacted for an interview. No telephone inquiries, please. EDFHT supports Employment Equity initiatives and encourages individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position.
Applicants should quote Job: Contract Social Worker
Contact by: e-mail only
Job Contact Information