Social Worker (Geriatrics / System Navigation) – Queen Square FHT (Brampton)
January 2, 2019
Position: Social Worker (Geriatrics / System Navigation)
Status: Permanent Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Sector: Community – Family Health Team
LHIN: Central West Local Health Integration Network (CW LHIN)
Region: Peel Region
Anticipated Start Date: January 2019
Queen Square Family Health Team (QSFHT) provides interdisciplinary primary care and we offer a wide range of services and programs. Our vision is to provide evidence-based, timely, integrated, interdisciplinary care that is of the highest quality.
QSFHT is currently seeking a registered social worker to work within the existing Mental Health and Geriatrics teams focusing on geriatric support and system/ resource navigation.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- MSW from a recognized program in clinical social work
- Knowledge of resources available to seniors with mental health issues (i.e. dementia and Alzheimer’s) and experience navigating the available system to support patients and families / caregivers
- knowledge and experience working with relevant legislation (i.e. SDM Act, POA, Consent and Capacity, etc.)
- registration with respective College of Social Workers & Social Service Workers of Ontario in good standing
- Clinical social work experience working with senior adults and their caregivers and conducting psychosocial assessments
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a primary care clinical team, hospital-based, long term care or, other relevant experience ( i.e. discharge planning)
- Proof of professional liability insurance
- Undergraduate degree in Social Work or Psychology or relevant discipline
- Experience working as part of a multi/interdisciplinary team
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Skills in critical thinking skills and clinical decision making
- Demonstrated experience and skills in use of computer technology for clinical care
Reporting to the Executive Director, and working within his/her full scope of practice, the Registered Social Worker will:
- conduct comprehensive psychosocial assessments of senior adults
- system/ resource navigation and case management coordinating care for patients as needed
- liaise with community providers as needed to support implementation of clinical plan
- adjusting to illness – patient and caregivers
- provide information on power of attorney, and how to complete process
- provide information on capacity assessments and how to complete process
- provide support with caregiver stress/burden
- advocate and provide resource linkage with community supports ie. Alzheimer’s Society, LTC planning, caregiving etc.
- counselling for anxiety/depression and/or bereavement where appropriate (early stages cognitive decline)
- management of behaviors related to cognitive decline through non pharmacological strategies
- identify social isolation and eliciting support from family/ caregivers and/or community partners as appropriate
- identify elder abuse
- provide help for patients and families in transitioning from home to long term care
- system navigation and collaboration with interdisciplinary geriatric team and physicians
- conduct collateral interviews with families / caregivers regarding psychosocial functioning as appropriate
- administer and score of psychometric measures for screening purposes under the clinical supervision of the psychologist
- contribute to the case formulation and development of the team’s integrated plan of care
- provide clinical interventions designed to promote community integration and symptom recovery
- document clinical care activities in the patient’s EMR
- contribute to program planning, implementation and evaluation of mental health program
- collect data as required for statistical reporting purposes
- participate in team building, program development and quality improvement activities
- participate in team, program and FHT wide meetings
- adhere to organizational policies
- Support and contribute to a healthy work place that embraces lifelong learning, diversity, clinical teamwork, privacy, and adherence to professional standards of practice.
Queen Square Family Health Team offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental benefits (not for maternity leave coverage). We also offer an attractive and rewarding work environment.
Queen Square Family Health Team is an equal opportunity employer. We are situated in a multi-cultural neighborhood and are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce who will work together to create & sustain a vibrant, healthy, safe and caring community.
Queen Square Family Health Team welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
In Accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Queen Square Family Health Team* will provide accommodation, accessible formats and communication supports for the interview upon request.*
Contact Information: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed cover letter and resume in one document.
Please include the following reference in the subject line: SW-122018
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note any telephone/ email inquiries related to this role won’t be accepted.