Registered Nurse – Women’s College Hospital (Toronto)
July 12, 2018
Women’s College Hospital is the first and only independent, academic, ambulatory care hospital in Ontario with a primary focus on the health of women. If you’re ready to be part of the future of healthcare, then you will want to join an institution in which the possibilities for creative innovation, breakthroughs in new thinking and groundbreaking work in academic ambulatory medicine are limitless. Women’s College Hospital is committed to patient safety as a key professional value and an essential component of daily practice.
An exciting Casual (2 Positions) opportunity as a Registered Nurse (Competition #170.18) exists in the Family Practice Health Centre, reporting to the Executive Director, Academic Family Health Team.
Summary of Duties, but not limited to:
- Provides direct nursing care and participates in teaching medical students and nursing students
- Organizes the daily activities of the Team for the provision of patient care
- Records patient health care information in a precise, concise and organized manner
- Organized necessary follow-up arrangements/referrals to community-based services for patients
- Assists patients with access appropriate health care
- Review lab, radiology and other patient results and informs patients of procedure results in accordance with the standards established by the Ontario College of Nurses (e.g. lab, radiology or other investigative procedures) as required and organizes necessary follow-up arrangements
- Assesses patient phone calls, gives advice, and responds to patient problems in accordance to the standards established be the Ontario College of Nurses
- Guided by the RNAO Best Practice Guidelines, assists patients to make realistic short and long-term goals Provides patient education related to all stages of life and refers to community resources as necessary
- Liaises with physicians, other nurses, Team Secretaries, Health Records Staff, Aide and other staff to ensure team and unit functions efficiently and effectively and ensures continuity of patient care
- Performs a variety of medical procedures such as: immunizations, injections, dressing, ear syringing, liquid nitrogen treatments
As a role model and champion you will work to identify and integrate safe, best practices into daily activities to foster the delivery of safe and exemplary care.
The responsibilities described above are representative and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
- Current registration with the Ontario College of Nurses
- Basic Cardiac Life Support certificate
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience in a Primary Care/Family Practice setting in the following clinical practice areas:
- Lifestyle and prevention (i.e. Smoking cessation, alcohol use, diet and exercise)
- immunizations (baby, child, adolescent and adult)
- Surveillance and screening (i.e. Cancer screening – colorectal, cervical, breast)
- Life cycle clinical management (i.e. Clinical visits – well baby, child, adolescent, maternity, adult and frail elderly)
- Sexual health
- Family violence
- Chronic disease management (i.e. Mental health, diabetes, hypertension, CHD, stroke, TIAs, asthma, COPD, hypothyroidism, epilepsy, cancer)
- Palliative management
- Excellent computer skills and a minimum of 2 years experience with an Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Primary Care system or equivalent experience required
- Demonstrated ability to make autonomous nursing decisions regarding patient care
- Ability to independently triage a wide variety of primary patient situations and phone calls
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment
- Excellent patient assessment, triaging skills and teaching experience
- Demonstrated leadership and effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize time and set priorities effectively
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Professional behavior and communication that meets the standards of the professional regulatory college or association, as applicable, and the standards of Women’s College Hospital
- This position plays a critical role in acting as an advocate for safety and will demonstrate principles, practices and processes that will optimize a safe environment for all
POSTING DATE: June 22, 2018
Please forward resumes via email to HR@wchospital.ca with your name and the competition number in the subject line. (Example: Jane Smith, 1.16)
We thank you for your interest, however, only qualified applicants who are selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Women’s College Hospital is a fully affiliated teaching hospital of the University of Toronto and is committed to fairness and equity in employment and our recruitment and selection practices. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, members of racialized groups, women and any others who may contribute to the further diversification of our Hospital community. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under our Access for People with Disabilities policy. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance.