Psychologist (FT/PT) – Queen Square FHT (Peel Region)
February 15, 2019
Status: Full Time / Part-Time
Sector: Community – Family Health Team
LHIN: Central West Local Health Integration Network (CW LHIN)
Region: Peel Region
Deadline: March 10th 2019
Anticipated Start Date: TBD
Queen Square Family Health Team (QSFHT) provides primary health care, including chronic disease management, health promotion and disease prevention, to a rostered population of patients in the city of Brampton and surrounding area. The FHT employs an inter-professional team of health care providers who work in a collaborative model of care.
In the recognition that mental illness and distress can lead to poorer health, shorter life expectancy, and poorer health-related quality of life, our Mental Health Team is in the process of developing a novel, evidence based, interdisciplinary, integrated model of primary mental health care for adults with a wide range of psychiatric disorders and mental health concerns.
Our unique model of primary mental health care recognizes the critical importance of evidence-based symptom screening, diagnostic assessment of psychiatric status & personality, and comprehensive psychosocial assessment in facilitating case formulation and an evidence based plan of care that relies on empirically supported psychotherapies. A critical element of our model of care is the ability to draw on the expertise of each discipline in the context of a collaborative partnership that enhances what any one practitioner/discipline can provide alone.
QSFHT is currently seeking a full-time clinical psychologist to work within our newly funded Mental Health Team. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to the development and implementation of a novel, evidence-based program that relies on best practices in primary mental health care and strategic partnerships across the circle of care.
Reporting to the QSFHT Executive Director, and working within his/her full scope of practice, the Clinical Psychologist will:
- provide clinical leadership, clinical supervision, clinical direction, & clinical mentorship to Team 2 Social Workers with respect to case formulation and treatment
- provide clinical leadership in case formulation to guide an integrated team plan of care
- provide diagnostic assessment of adults with known / suspected moderate to severe psychiatric disorders – including evidence based diagnostic semi-structured interviews such as SCID DSM V & psychometric assessment
- conduct risk assessment of suicidal ideation/behavior, homicidal ideation and / or self-harm
- formulate & communicate recommendations for clinical management and/or psychotherapeutic treatment
- provide clinical supervision in the administration & scoring of psychometric measures if required
- provide comprehensive & detailed recommendations for psychotherapeutic interventions as required
- provide clinical leadership, direction, mentorship, clinical supervision & training to our team of social workers with respect to delivery of evidence based psychotherapies including individual and group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, mindfulness, etc.
- provide case specific consultation to other members of the diagnostic team including consulting psychiatrist, hospital based psychiatrist, family physician &/or Nurse Practitioner as appropriate
- communicate diagnoses and treatment / management plans & progress as required
- provide leadership in the identification of valid & reliable psychometric outcome measures
- document clinical care activities in the patient’s EMR
- contribute to program planning, implementation and evaluation of mental health program
- collect data as required for statistical reporting purposes
- participate in team building, program development and quality improvement activities
- participate in team, program and FHT wide meetings
- adhere to organizational policies
- support and contribute to a healthy work place that embraces lifelong learning, diversity, clinical teamwork, privacy, and adherence to professional standards of practice
- perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Clinical / Professional Competencies & Requirements:
- D. in psychology from an APA/CPA accredited clinical psychology program with a minimum of 3years experience working in an interdisciplinary clinical hospital-based or primary care setting with adults with anxiety, mood, concurrent and/or personality disorders
- registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario in good standing with authorized practice in clinical psychology with adults
- proof of required professional liability insurance
- demonstrated skills in clinical teaching and clinical supervision since clinical teaching and clinical mentorship will be required
- additional experience in the treatment of adults with psychiatric illness and a history of childhood trauma would be considered an asset
- additional experience with older adolescents – 16 + would be considered an asset
- additional authorization to practice in rehabilitation psychology would be considered an asset
- additional clinical experience working adults with mild ETOH and/or substance abuse would be considered an asset
- content expertise in psychiatric disorders including chronic depressive disorders, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia and personality disorders is required
- skills in DSM V diagnosis of psychiatric disorders including chronic depressive disorders, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia and personality disorders is required
- experience in semi-structured clinical interviewing methodologies including SCID DSM V
- experience in the choice, administration and interpretation of psychometric assessment of psychiatric / psychological morbidity, personality and behavior to inform diagnosis, case formulation, treatment planning, psychotherapy, clinical management, and therapeutic outcomes
- knowledge of the cognitive and behavioral features that can impede integration into the community and symptom / functional recovery and quality of life
- experience in conducting suicide risk assessments
- experience in crisis management
- therapeutic skills relevant to a recovery model of care
- demonstrated experience in empirically supported individual and group psychotherapeutic modalities approaches in the treatment and/or clinical management of moderate to severe / chronic depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, and psychotic disorders – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy / Cognitive Behavioral Social Skills, Illness Management & Recovery, and problem focused and/or mindfulness is required
- demonstrated skills and interest in providing care within an interdisciplinary shared care / collaborative care environment required
- demonstrated working knowledge of the Mental Health Act, the Health Care Consent Act, the Substitute Decisions Act and Community Treatment Orders
- excellent oral and written communications skills required
- advanced critical thinking skills and clinical decision making
- demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively within an interdisciplinary shared care team
- demonstrated flexibility and ability to adapt to change
- demonstrated experience and skills in use of computer technology for clinical care
Queen Square Family Health Team offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental benefits. We also offer an attractive and rewarding work environment. Please note that only positions that work over 21 hours per week will be eligible for the benefit package.
Queen Square Family Health Team is an equal opportunity employer. We are situated in a multi-cultural neighborhood and are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce who will work together to create & sustain a vibrant, healthy, safe and caring community.
While we thank all applicants, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview. In Accordance with The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Queen Square Family Health Team will provide accommodation, accessible formats and communication supports for the interview upon request
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a detailed cover letter and resume in one document to email@example.com
Please include the following reference in the subject line: Psych-022019
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note any telephone/ email inquiries related to this role won’t be accepted.