Psychologist ( PT Term) – Connexion FHT (Ottawa)
May 18, 2018
Job Description – Psychologist
0.5 Part Time Temporary Employment (18.75hrs/week)
As a key member of Connexion Family Health Team (CFHT), and an integral part of an inter-disciplinary health care team, you will provide psychological services in accordance with FHT policies and professional practice standards. You will perform duties as outlined and ensure that the psychological needs of our patients are met.
Your primary role will be to work in partnership with physicians and other health providers to perform intake, psychodiagnostic assessments, short-term individual counseling, group counseling and workshops, case management, and education/advocacy.
You will deliver services to a variety of patient populations including high-risk groups suffering from chronic diseases and/or complex multi-system diseases. You will also provide mental health education to our patients with a focus on health promotion, disease prevention, and chronic disease management.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Formal and informal evaluation of individual behaviour, functioning and mental health. Familiarity and comfort with performing psychodiagnostic assessments, delivering mental health diagnoses and implementing and making recommendations relating to treatment plans in an interdisciplinary setting.
- Psychological interventions with individuals and groups
- Treatment of mental health disorders
- Treatment of individual and family relationship problems
- Maintenance of wellness and disease prevention
- Management of psychological factors and problems associated with physical conditions and disease (e.g., diabetes, heart disease, stroke, chronic pain)
- Management of psychological factors in terminal and chronic illnesses (e.g., cancer, brain injury, and degenerative brain diseases).
- Management of problems related to substance abuse and dependence.
- Management of psychological factors related to stress and adjustment to psychosocial stressors.
- Management of psychological factors related to work such as motivation, leadership, productivity, and healthy workplaces.
- Consultation relating to the assessment and treatment of individuals and groups.
- Referral to community agencies/services.
Skills, Knowledge Requirements
- Strong clinical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to adjust language and terminology to suit the individual patient or patient group
- Autonomous and able to function with minimal supervision
- Ability to work effectively in an inter-disciplinary team environment
- Cultural sensitivity
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment
- Familiarity with a Windows OS environment
- Experience with scheduling and electronic medical record keeping using a clinical management system is an asset
- Bilingual (French and English) verbal communication (ability to deliver psychological services in French and English) is an asset.
Education and Credentials
- Member in good standing of the College of Psychologists of Ontario
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working in mental health
- Competency in Clinical Psychology with an adult population required
- Competencies in Health or Rehabilitation Psychology an asset
- Competencies with older adult, child, or adolescent populations an asset
- Clinical experience working in a inter-disciplinary health care environment (such as a medical clinic, hospital, rehabilitation centre) preferable
- Clinical experience working collaboratively with a community-based agency preferable
- Experience teaching and facilitating treatment groups is an asset
The College of Psychologists of Ontario
110 Eglinton Avenue West, Suite 500
Toronto, ON M4R 1A3
Tel: 416 961-8817
Toll-Free: (800) 489-8388
Fax: 416 961-2635
Ontario Psychological Association
730 Yonge Street, Suite 221
Toronto, ON M4Y 2B7
Tel: 416-961- 5552
Ontario Association of Psychological Associates
Box/CP 27080 – 1980 Ch. Ogilvie Road
Gloucester, ON K1J 9L9
Hours of Work
18.75/week (with flexibility for evenings based on patient needs)
With possibility of extension.
Send covering letter/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org