Primary Care Nurse Practitioner – St. Joseph’s Urban FHT (Toronto)
March 21, 2018
Position Title: Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Status: Full Time Temporary for 15 months starting May 2018
Salary: $51.950 to $60.770 per hour, 25 year rate: $61.980 per hour
At St Joseph’s Health Centre Toronto, everything we do is aimed at living our mission and achieving our vision of advancing the health of our community by being Canada’s best community teaching health centre. This means we are committed to delivering exceptional experiences, shaping care through teaching and education, and providing seamless services for patients.
A Catholic hospital fully accredited with exemplary standing by Accreditation Canada, St. Joe’s Toronto is fortunate to be home to an entire community of people who live our values and mission every day — the staff, physicians, volunteers and students — that our patients and families will get to know during their experiences with us.
Working here means more than having a job; it means being part of a community where each and every member of our team is recognized and appreciated.
As a member of the interprofessional primary care team of the Urban Family Health Team, the Primary Care Nurse Practitioner will provide integrative primary care services to individuals with a specific disease or health problem and will manage (or co-manage with a specialist physician) a group of clients with chronic disease. The Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner will also support health promotion and disease prevention within our primary care population. The successful candidate provides primary care services that reflect the Mission, Vision and Values of SJHC and the surrounding diverse community.
The Primary Care Nurse Practitioner provides leadership and collaborates with the physician group and the interprofessional team to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate client, family and community centred programs and services. The successful candidate will model, promote, facilitate and evaluate primary care clinical practices supported by the best evidence and quality improvement initiatives. The Primary Care Nurse Practitioner collaborates in the implementation of strategic plans, evaluation and programming in alignment with the goals of the provincial Family Health Team initiative.
The successful candidate will perform duties within the scope of practice of the RN (EC) including conducting complete and focused physical assessments, communicating health findings and diagnoses, prescribing treatments and medications, ordering laboratory tests, diagnostic ultrasounds and x-rays. As well, they will provide health education and counseling to patients related to identified health issues; consult and collaborate with other professional staff concerning clinical issues, and as appropriate.
This position requires a solid communicator with excellent conflict management, negotiation, and computer skills; proven ability to maintain confidentiality and ethics and to interpret and evaluate information in order to make appropriate clinical decisions; coupled with sound knowledge of health promotion and disease prevention strategies, clinical therapeutics, community health care programs, services, agencies and referral physicians; as well as knowledge and experience in applying clinical assessment skills to lead to improved health outcomes, preferably in an ambulatory community or public health setting.
Other duties require the incumbent to provide strong leadership, teaching and functional guidance to professional staff and other learners from interprofessional group, including Family Medicine Residents and Nurse Practitioners; participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of policies, procedures and protocols; develop and administer a health care plan appropriate to client needs, including advocacy and referral to healthcare and/or social agencies, among others.
- Diagnoses and treats previously undiagnosed clients for undifferentiated diseases, illnesses and conditions within the Nurse Practitioner’s scope of practice; orders appropriate screening diagnostic investigations; interprets reports of investigations and analyzes information to monitor progress and plan treatment. As part of the interprofessional team, develops and implements treatment plans. Writes orders for treatment and medications, monitors ongoing care and provides first line of care in emergencies.
- Establishes priorities for management of health conditions; provides follow-up treatment; communicates with clients and families about health findings, diagnoses and prognoses; supports and counsels clients in their personal responses to diseases, disorders and conditions.
- Collaborates and/or consults with physicians or other health care and social service providers as appropriate to assess and diagnose client status. Accepts referrals from, or makes referrals to, physicians and other health professionals.
- Prescribes drugs and orders and interpret diagnostic imaging reports within the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions of RN, Extended Class and within applicable employer policies and procedures. Applies knowledge of pharmacology and evidence based practice in selecting, prescribing, administering and monitoring the effects of drugs to treat diseases disorders, conditions or injuries.
- Participates in maintaining leading nurse research contributing to improved patient care and advances in nursing, health policy development and population health. Synthesizes qualitative and quantitative data from a variety of sources about determinants of health; maintains population health focus by participating in and implementing evidence based screening and health promotion for populations at risk and implements population based harm reduction strategies.
- Gathers and documents patient and statistical information for the purposes of quarterly and annual reporting to the Program and Ministry, and as required
- Some evening work required
- Master’s Degree in Nursing and completion of a Primary Health Care (PHC) Nurse Practitioner Certification required.
- Current registration in the Extended Class (NP – PHC) in good standing with the College of
- Nurses of Ontario required.Member of the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario preferred, member of NPAO required.
- Successful completion or NP Prescribing of Controlled Substances exam.
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification required.
- Three years primary care nursing experience in a community setting, preferably in an underserviced area, or in combination of community and hospital or public health settings required.
- Previous experience as a CNS and/or ACNP, preferred.
- Advanced assessment, diagnostic reasoning skills
- Knowledge of the principles of adult education and excellent verbal and written presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to establish positive relationships with all physicians, staff, patients/clients, families, and community agencies
- Excellent creative self-directive and problem solving ability and critical thinking skills and able to work both independently and in collaboration with physicians and interprofessional team
- Experience with research methodology, program planning and outcomes evaluation
- Experience in Change Management and Quality Improvement an asset.
- Proficiency with computer applications, including clinical management systems and electronic medical record (preferably Practice Solutions Suite -PSS)
- Strong knowledge of Quality improvement processes and Lean process improvement
- Satisfactory attendance record.
Why Work at St. Joe’s?
- In support of being Canada’s Best Community Teaching Health Centre, we are committed to investing in education opportunities for our staff. We offer
- Education Assistance Grants that provide tuition reimbursement for career related continuing education
- Access to our Centralized Education Funds for help with your future professional goals
- Interest‐free Tuition loans
- Our fully equipped, on‐site fitness centre is only $12 per month per employee
- We are located in one of Toronto’s most vibrant and fascinating areas servicing Queen Street West, Roncesvalles Village, High Park and Parkdale
- Easy access to TTC surface and subway routes
WHEN APPLYING, PLEASE INCLUDE THE JOB TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note while we value all applicants only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer