Health Educator/Promoter (Term)- Couchiching FHT (Couchiching)
May 1, 2018
Couchiching Family Health Team
Position: Health Educator/Promoter (4.5 days)
Contract Position (Maternity/Paternity Leave)
Reports To: Clinical Program Manager
As a key member of the Couchiching Family Health Team (CFHT), and an integral part of an interdisciplinary health care team, the major role of the Health Educator/Promoter will focus on program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation aimed at reducing the onset of chronic diseases and reducing complications among patients who already have a chronic disease diagnosis.
The Health Educator/Promoter reports to the Clinical Program Manager. The Health Educator/Promoter collaborates with all IHPs and other community health care providers to help deliver services and programs to the community.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide lifestyle counselling and programming for FHT patients, through individual and group sessions, and work in collaboration with other IHP programs and services, including but not limited to: Healthy You/Craving Change, Osteoporosis, Metabolic Syndrome, Diabetes, Fitness for Health, Pole Walking and Water Exercise Therapy.
- Coordinate the Stanford Self-Management Programs in collaboration with NSM Self-Management Programs, and the CFHT lead physician.
- Ensures that all programs and services foster patient self-management and set identified goals.
- Conduct a full assessment and prepare a plan for intervention and/or for referral to other programs offered in the FHT.
- Identify, analyze and provide the necessary treatment and/or referral for the patient’s physical and psychosocial health care problems that will include counselling and physical activities and lifestyle programs.
- Share results with referring physicians and IHPs as required.
- Implement various goal oriented intervention plans, including education with the patient and/or family members.
- Work closely with physicians and the IT department to gather and analyze patient data for the purpose of developing and implementing the FHT’s core and specialized programs.
- Develop and manage FHT programs that include wellness and physical activities and rehabilitation for patients living with chronic disease.
- Develop brochures, flyers and posters that promote healthy living.
- Develop and keep current information for internal TV for patients in the waiting rooms.
- Inform patients about the benefits of physical activity and provide ideas of how they can incorporate an active lifestyle into their daily routines.
- Develop lunch n learns for the FHT staff and physicians.
- Offer support to existing programs such as Integrated Regional Falls program, CHF program, and a range of Mental Health programs currently running at the FHT.
- Enter data and tracking information into the EMR.
- Ensure all notes and patient charts are updated in a timely manner.
- Prepare quarterly reports and monitor daily statistical data to ensure statistics are reported to the Ministry of Health in a timely fashion.
- Participate in CFHT committees as needed.
- Maintain and upgrade knowledge and skills.
- Maintain current knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Work in compliance with Health and Safety laws adhering to safe work practices and procedures established by the CFHT.
- Other duties as required.
- Adaptable to change.
- Knowledge in current, evidence based methods and practise of primary care delivery.
- Excellent oral/written/interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with a PC OS environment.
- Willingness to learn scheduling and electronic medical record keeping using a clinical management system (Practice Solutions).
Education/Specific Job Requirements:
- Graduate of a relevant university program.
- Strong interest and experience in program development and implementation of health promotion, disease prevention and chronic disease management, with a specific focus on exercise.
- Current Ontario Driver’s License and access to reliable vehicle.
- Current membership or registration in a professional organization an asset.
- Minimum typing speed at 40 words per minute.
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings if required.
- Police Record/Vulnerable Record Check.
- Minimum 2 years clinical experience directly related health promotion and disease prevention.
- Experience with an Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
Please submit cover letter and resume including position title in subject line to: email@example.com
The Couchiching Family Health Team (CFHT) supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and disabled persons. CFHT is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please advise our Human Resources Manager. Personal information contained in applications will be used for recruitment purposes and collected as per Freedom of Information (F.O.I.) and Protection of Privacy Act, 1987. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Revised Apr 2018