Family Practice Nurse – West Durham FHT (Pickering)
October 5, 2018
Full-time Family Practice Nurse Job
Available Immediately – October 1st, 2018
The Family Practice Nurse will work in close collaboration with physicians and other interdisciplinary health professionals including Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Social Workers, Dietitian and Pharmacist. As a vital member of the team, the Registered Nurse is responsible for delivering quality nursing care to patients with a focus on assessment, health education, disease prevention, as well as the early identification and support for chronic health conditions.
- Certificate of Competence and current membership with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
- BScN preferred
- Current CPR or basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) registration
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience providing patient care to patients of all ages in a comprehensive Family Practice or relevant Ambulatory care setting.
- 3-5 years’ experience providing patient care across the spectrum of problems encountered in Family Medicine/Primary Care
- Demonstrated achievement of good working relationships with colleagues, professional staff and the interprofessional team
- Previous experience with an electronic medical record (EMR) program or willingness to learn electronic record keeping using a clinical management system (CMS)
- Highly developed ability to organize time and set priorities effectively
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to make clinical decisions within professional domain
- Demonstrated leadership and strong interpersonal skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent decision making, problem recognition, problem solving skills, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in an inter-professional team environment and implement best practices in patient care
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment
Roles and Responsibilities:
This is not intended as an all-inclusive list, but rather a sample of the duties and responsibilities required of the position. Duties and responsibilities may vary over time.
- Systematically assess patients’ physical and psychosocial needs
- Assist patients and their families in identifying resources to maximize the patient’s health
- Perform direct clinical care to patients including procedures such as: immunizations, throat swabs, TB skin test, suture removal, wound dressing, ear syringing, blood pressure monitoring, etc.
- Assist other team members with clinical procedures, etc.
- Perform telephone patient triage and monitoring within the clinic setting as required
- Provide appropriate and accurate telephone assessment advice and follow-up (eg. Discuss test results, test preparations, medications, etc) as necessary
- Provide health education, health promotion, counseling to patients and their families across the continuum of care including immunization, chronic disease management, well baby and family care
- Report and record accurately and appropriately, using electronic charting
- Initiate appropriate action in response to changing patient needs and collaborate with the interprofessional team to assist patients
- Arrange appropriate follow-up, referrals, appointments and investigations according to established procedures.
- Collaborate on the design and delivery of chronic disease prevention and management programs. Assist in monitoring and evaluating the success in achieving CDM program objectives.
- Assist in coordinating programs and arranging follow-up care
- Collect accurate and comprehensive patient-related information and document this information in the electronic clinic management system.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly reports for the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC)
- Willingness to routinely participate in staff meetings
- Help patients to identify and use health resources
- Support team health care programs including Diabetes, Smoking Cessation, COPD, etc. and deliver health education programs for patients
- Participate in the educational process of other health team members and students of all disciplines
- Participate in the orientation of new staff members and students
- Actively seeks out formal and informal opportunities to enhance knowledge and expertise.
- Work with the team to develop collaborative approaches to family practice for the management of clinical problems in primary care
- Establish, promote and maintain good relations with patients and staff
- Support and maintain the goals and objectives of the West Durham Family Health Team
- Communicate effectively with patients, team members and external agencies involved in the patient circle of care
If you enjoy working in a team and collaborative environment providing patient care and health promotion education, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to:
Andrea Petroff, Executive Director, West Durham Family Health Team
For More Information about our team, visit our website at:
Thank you in advance for your interest. Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.