Child and Youth Social Worker (Term) – Summerville FHT (Mississauga)
January 21, 2019
CHILD AND YOUTH SOCIAL WORKER
Contract Position ~ 1 year
Summerville Family Health Team is looking for a highly skilled, experienced and enthusiastic mental health professional to provide direct service, outreach, and case management to Summerville patients, ages 6-18 and their families. Reporting to the Supervisor and working along with a multi-disciplinary team, the Child & Youth Social Worker will provide family-centered counseling to individuals, families, and groups while also help in navigating community resources. Additionally, the social worker will be responsible for the development, management, and implementation of programs and partnerships that provide support and treatment to Summerville patients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide skilled assessment, formulation, and treatment services to children/youth and their families/caregivers by employing a variety of systemic and evidence-based/evidenced-informed treatment approaches (including CBT, DBT skills, attachment, play based therapy, art-based therapy, and mindfulness) to enhance parent/family and child/youth interactions and functioning at home, in school and in community.
- Provide a range of therapeutic interventions including individual, couple, family and group counseling and psychotherapy on a short-term basis;
- Develop, implement and regularly evaluate treatment plans according to individual client and family/caregiver needs, goals, strengths and cultural values;
- Facilitate the enhancement of the child and family’s informal and formal supports;
- Provide case management and outreach services to ensure coordination and delivery of services that meet changing needs of clients and families (including school and other health care providers).
- Develop, manage and implement psycho-educational programs alone or in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team related to the prevention of mental health problems;
- Maintain accurate, concise and confidential EMR documentation where applicable, pertaining to patient history and encounter data;
- Complete necessary FHT program documentation;
- Communicate ideas and concerns to the health care team and partner in problem solving to enhance patient care;
- Co-facilitate educational sessions held by other FHT multi-disciplinary team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Masters of Social Work degree from a post-secondary institution;
- Registered member in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers;
- Minimum of 3-5 years related experience in a health care environment and/or within the mental health sector working with children, youth, and their families;
- Knowledge of Child Family Services Act and Child Welfare services
- Demonstrated ability to implement child/youth/family evidence-based/evidence-informed mental health treatment approaches (i.e. attachment, play based or play therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness, behaviour management, parenting skill development, and crisis Intervention) in an individual, family, and group psychoeducational setting.
- Able to partner and work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including facilitation skills;
- Good critical thinking and decision-making skills;
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and EMR (e.g. Accuro);
Able to work flexible hours in order to meet patient and physician needs which may include evenings
To apply for this vacancy please submit a resume with covering letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Summerville Family Health Team is an equal opportunity employer. We are situated in a multi-cultural neighborhood and are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce who will work together to create & sustain a vibrant, healthy, safe and caring community.
While we thank all applicants, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview. In Accordance with The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Summerville Family Health Team will provide accommodation, accessible formats and communication supports for the interview upon request.