We are the advocate, network and resource for team-based primary care in Ontario
The Association of Family Health Teams of Ontario (AFHTO) works to support the implementation and growth of primary care teams by promoting best practices, sharing lessons learned, and advocating on behalf of all primary care teams. Evidence and experience shows that team-based comprehensive primary care is delivering better health and better value to patients.
AFHTO is a not-for-profit association representing Ontario’s primary care teams, which include Family Health Teams (FHTs), Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinics (NPLCs) and others who provide interprofessional comprehensive primary care.
Working towards a common vision
Our members share the compelling vision that one day, all Ontarians will have timely access to high-quality and comprehensive primary care; care that is:
- Informed by the social determinants of health – the conditions in which people are born, grow, live, work and age
- Delivered by the right mix of health professionals, working in collaborative teams in partnership with patients, caregivers and the community
- Anchored in an integrated and equitable health system, promoting good health and seamless care for all patients
- Sustainable – efficiently delivered and appropriately resourced to achieve expected outcomes
AFHTO works with and on behalf of members to:
- Provide leadership to promote expansion of high-quality, comprehensive, well-integrated interprofessional primary care for the benefit of all Ontarians, and
- Be their advocate, champion, network and resource to support them in improving and delivering optimal interprofessional care